The next in the Jo’s Little Women quilts is done.
I’m really getting the hang of this small stipple. Let’s just say you may see this on a lot of quilts going forward as it’s easy. It’s also really gratifying to get it done and have it look so nice. I did quite a bit of stitch in a ditch and it really came out nice and very square.
Quilted in So Fine on my Sweet Sixteen. Love my TruStitch…it makes such lovely stitches.
It is only about 12 x 17, so a fat quarter for the backing was all that was needed.
So this month is our first Jo’s Little Women series 13 quilt. These ended up being 1 inch finished squares, but all in all it went together very fast. 13.5″ square in total.
Then I decided to get the quilting done.
And first I ditched and then a tiny stipple with Superior Silk 100wt Kimono – Pagoda color.
The back…didn’t this turn out lovely! I broke the rules and did glide on the back in Khaki.
I did the single-fold binding first time and I love it! Even though this was just a small project. It really boosted my confidence with my Sweet Sixteen. I’m itching to quilt the next one.
Went to a local butterfly exhibit and was able to get some awesome shots… thought I would share them with you. Crafting is slow going as life keeps prodding along. Hope to have some nice things to post soon.
Carmel Corn is a Jo Morton pattern for the last Little Women club, which we’re wrapping up this month. I still have one more quilt to make. For this one though, I hand appliqued all the circles and then put it together by machine.
This isn’t very large. I think a fat quarter will work for backing.
This is what it looked like when I was working on it, before putting it altogether. it was quite a project and I found out I really like hand applique.
No this is not a April’s Fool’s joke… I finally have my very own Ishbel. This is in Miss Bab’s Yummy and I may have about 10 yards yet. The color was Violette.
I should remark that this yarn bled a lot… I had to rinse it and rinse it. I finally added vinegar to the mix and let it sit. It helped, but I think it will still bleed quite a bit when it needs re-blocking. This leads me to a dilemma because I have another shawl done – Color Affection in Miss Bab’s yarn that needs blocks. I seriously don’t recall if I soaked the brown before I knit it or not, so I’m going to have to be careful I don’t end up with a mess.
After years of picking out yarn and going – this is Ishbel…I finally made Ishbel.
I’ve also been doing a smattering of stashing. I think this long winter has gotten to me and I want color, color, color… especially pink! I’m so glad April is here…bring on the showers, for some May flowers. The more color the better this year.
Well this one was a quick knit, but then sat and sat waiting for ends to be woven. I finally got that done and got this pretty blocked.
Northern Lights is a free pattern on Ravelry. I used Sophie’s Toes Magic 8-ball yarn in Preppy Girl. Love how this turned out. Made a nice medium-large shawl.
A couple Friday’s ago my friend Cindy and I went to a fabulous art quilt class by Lenore Crawford put on by Illinois Quilters Inc.
The guild did a fabulous job and all the lades were very friendly. Lenore was a wonderful instructor. It was a great class… broken down in easy step-by-step instructions, which was so helpful. She also showed how to use your own photo to make up a pattern. I’d love a longer class with Lenore, she was full of so much art & art quilting wisdom.
I’m doing Lenore’s poppies pattern. However, I bought several of her patterns, paints, and accessories to play with in the not too distant future. I’m already plotting my own photos and patterns to try. I think I finally found my art quilting way.
I have been keeping up with the quilting around here…almost.
I am up to date with my Four Star General Blocks. I still have setting to do though and those maybe ugly.
I am also up to date with my Civil War Sampler blocks. I’m leaning toward the on-point setting on the cover of the book. We’ll see if that will get done.
I’ve got lots to talk about, so stay turned for more posts this week.
Well this is a blast from the past. This was the second quilting class I took. It wasn’t difficult, but for some reason got put away to be a UFO. Well no more… here she is all finished. It’s been moved to my To Be Quilted Pile.
This pattern is Lucky Stars by Atkinson Designs. I love their patterns. They are so well written. I did mine in 20 different batiks and Moda grunge white.
I’m thinking just an all over pattern with neutral or white Glide thread. I have a white batting and a batik backing for it. It’s so colorful, I’m really stuck on a good thread for this one. I’ll need to think and do some research.
So at the end of 2013, I did inventory and have to start working the numbers down. The two big numbers were UFO – Needs Piecing and UFO’s - needs quilting. So here’s the numbers as they currently stand.
- UFO’s Piecing – 21
- UFO’s Quilting – 23
This doesn’t take into account current blocks of the month. These are just old past projects that I need to get done.
So when I did inventory late last year, I found I had quite a few UFO’s. When my LQS – Quilters General Store put on the 1st annual UFO quilting retreat in early January, I went and managed to get some projects done.
So not a great photo, but I got Trailing Diamonds done… this is in Japanese Fabrics. Notice the fussy cut borders… I remember why this sat as a UFO for so long…those were a major pain because they were so long.
Also, got Forget Me Not done which was a QAL 2 years ago by Pam Buda. Not sure why this one sat, as I just had the half square triangles to do and put it together… it was a snap. Next to move to the to be quilted pile, which is just as large as the UFO pile, but at least they are moving along.